Funding Matters Weblog News
Funding Matters - Home is about »
The European Institute of Innovation & Technology (EIT) has announced a 2009 Call for Proposals.
The European Institute of Innovation and Technology is intended to be a key driver of sustainable European growth and competitiveness. As the first major step in developing the operations of the EIT, the priority is the selection of the first Knowledge and Innovation Communities (KICs).
A KIC is a managed collaborative partnership and is a legal and financial structure. It will be highly integrated, have creative partnerships including education, technology, research, business and entrepreneurship that will produce new innovations and new innovation models and inspire others to emulate them.
The specific activities of a KIC are to:
- Address long-term challenges in the themes and identify and tackle new opportunities for innovation in Europe
- Transfer higher education, research and innovation activities to the business context and commercial and societal applications (stimulating innovation in large firms as well as creating spin-offs and start-ups and supporting SMEs)
- Attract, keep and work with partner organisations and top-class talent from around the world
- Develop entrepreneurial people and bring them to business
- Maximize the share of financial contribution from the private sector
- Address leading innovation-driven research essential to the KIC objectives
- Set up new schemes of innovation-focused education through EIT-branded master, doctorate and post doctorate education.
The EIT has now opened a call for proposals for the first KICs with a deadline in August. For anyone who is interested in participating, there will be a stakeholder event in Wroclaw, Poland in May and further information about this, the EIT and the call can be obtained by accessing the EIT’s call website.
The proposal should principally address one of three priority areas:
• climate change mitigation and adaptation;
• sustainable energy;
• future information and communication society.
Submission deadline: The deadline for proposal submission is 17.00, 27 August 2009 (Brussels time).
If you or your colleagues are interested in this funding call, or any other European funding opportunities, please contact the European Office for further assistance.