I just got an email about a ATM Cash Machine at Cardiff Central Station that had a card skimming or cloning device. Update: On BBC News too at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7505613.stm
The First Great Western (FGW) have reported it on their blog http://www.iworkforfgw.com/railblog/index.php?month=july08#1407081600 on the 14th July 2008 but the device was found by the British Transport Police (BTP) on Friday 11 July 2008. So it could have been there for a while...
'Detective Sergeant Dave Goddard from British Transport Police said: "We would urge people to examine their bank statements with close scrutiny.
"The device – a camera and a card reader – were recovered from the front of the machine on Friday at around 3pm."' - First Great Western (FGW) Blog
For those who do not know how skimming /cloning works: The card details are read by the cloning device(i.e., card reader) and the PIN is recorded by the camera.
1. It is always a good idea to cover up the key-pad when entering your cards PIN, no matter where you are.
2. Use a certain ATM often and familiarise your self with it.
3. Check the card slot. Here is what it looks like replaced .
4. Although it is a good idea to check the card slot beware of scammers that replace whole ATM fascia .
5. Educate your selves [2, 3, 4, 5, 6].
6. Finally, after watching the video[5, 6] and taking into consideration the ATM's sound structure give the different parts of the ATM a good hitting and nothing weird should be hanging around the ATM.
Thanks go to P. Messenger who brought it to the our attention.
 - First Great Western (FGW) Blog - Monday 14th July 2008 @ 16:00 - Card Skimming at Cardiff - http://www.iworkforfgw.com/railblog/index.php?month=july08#1407081600
 - BBC News, Gang jailed over bank card scam - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4143192.stm
 The University of Texas at Austin - ATM Scam - http://www.utexas.edu/police/alerts/atm_scam/
 NBC US - ATM Skimming Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3qK46L2b_c
 BBC Three - ATM Card FRAUD... A Warning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCLsgxS38mE
 ATM fraudsters (CCTV) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrLJjzoVqwE&NR;=1
 Station's cash machine targeted http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7505613.stm